As the time with the Port of Seattle fades into memory, we move onto a project on Vashon Island restoring a parcel of land that was recently acquired by the Vashon and Maury Island Land Trust. The scope of the project was to clear and plant the logged parcel to enhance the Judd Creek watershed.
Week 10
Monday - It has been a few years since I have taken a ferry. It was Shae's first time and it definitely showed. Exciting for me nonetheless. It as been even longer since I had been on Vashon. Michelle was absent for this week for her Assistant Supervisor training.
The task for the day was to prepare the land to be planted with native species. We spent all day removing blackberries and other invasive species.
Tuesday - Our first task was to pick up plants from the Duthie Hill Salvage Nursery. It added a significant amount of time to our commute.
| Full of plants! One of two truck loads. |
| Sea Gull |
Thursday - Saara spent the day job shadowing our liason with King County, Paul Adler. For the day our crew was pretty light. We continued planting the rest of the pots. An Earth Corp crew and the KCD WCC crew was also on Vashon, so we took the opportunity to have lunch together!
| A devious look |
Monday - Michelle is back! For the week we were able to stay at the Land Trusts shop apartment. We also were allocated $5 per meal for the week. We pooled our money together for 3 dinners, leaving us with $35 to spend on our lunches for the week. Easier said than done! I was the only one able to spend the $35. I just pick up fancier version of things I usually get. After our shopping spree, we left for Vashon and dropped off our belongings and food at the apartment
Our task for the day was to finish planting the potted plants and sacks of ferns. If I remember correctly we also began planting the bare roots.
Upon our return to the apartment, Max and Saara prepared a stir fried dinner for us. We watched Billy Madison and had some quality bonding time.
Tuesday - A rare moment occurred, I forgot my rain gear so I had to rock the trash bag for the day. The day was spent bare rooting and it was going quite slowly. We had to trim roots and tie tags onto each planted tree.
Cutting our planting time a tad short, we got back to the apartment and spent the remainder of our time clipping the roots. After we finished that, Kris had prepared tacos for the night! We enjoyed our tacos and watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Max also took the liberty of preparing apple crisps for everyone!
Wednesday - We woke up early and caught the 7 am ferry back to the mainland to participate in a Hazmat workshop. It was quite informative and entertaining. Perhaps the most interesting things that I learned is to look out for the new "Shake and Bake" method that meth makers are now using.
We grabbed fabric skirts and headed back to the island. We skirted all the plants that we put in earlier and spent the rest of the day flagging our trees to be planted in the next day.
This day Michelle prepared a spaghetti dinner with garlic bread and salad. This meal was accompanied by watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Thusday - Ah our last day... we packed away all of our stuff and cleaned up the apartment. We then moved onto the daunting task of planting the remainder of the bare roots. 850 out of the 1500. With the clipping and flagging out the way, planting the bare roots was a breeze. I was flying through them and we finished more than half by our first break! After grabbing our stuff, we were able to catch the 3:30 ferry and made it back to the shop in time to tie up some loose ends.
Photography: Here are a few captures that I wanted to share from the past 2 weeks.
| A few members of the KCD Crew |
No comments:
Post a Comment