Ah, our short week for Thanksgiving was even further shortened due to the epic snow storm of 2010. Monday was the only day that we were able to make it out in the field.
The fields were dusted with a nice layer of snow. It had a winter wonderland kind of feel to it! We spent the whole entire time planting, in the snow. A tad chilly but it was awesome to rock the new glove liners. They decreased mobility and dexterity but kept the hands warm and feeling dry even if it was soaking wet.
Photos and more details below!
Trade secret... if it is cold, keep moving. I spent my lunch break making a snow angel and a bad ass snowman! Unfortunately for my fellow crew mates, they warmed up in the truck, only to re-acclimate to the cold! I felt good! Well great actually!
The snow began to pick up as we left. The highway slowed to a crawl. We passed several accidents. A motorcyclist was stranded on the side of the road. These signs foreshadowed the challenges the region would face in the coming days.
We arrived back to the shop after a few slippery turns in Snowflake by Kris. We attempted to wash our tools, however the water froze the moment the tools left the water. It was impossible. With no tools to clean, we prepared snowballs for the crews who have yet to return. At the same time we cleared a lot of the snow off all the cars. A good old snow ball fight ensued.
Now the trek back home was quite harrowing. Small, light, and RWD makes my car the WORST car for snow driving. I made it down hill just fine. I was reminded that my car also does not have ABS when I locked the brakes and had to manually pump the pedal. It was ok, I only took out a few traffic cones. The hill was another obstacle... I tried Renton Ave only to slip back down after the initial grade began. I tried the back way with no avail. I gave up and parked my car in front of somebody's house and walked up the hill to my home.
Early the next morning, Kris called and delivered the cancellation of work for the day. I looked for a food bank or kitchen close by to volunteer at, none were open. During the the day I perfected my mashed potatoes (first shot at making them ever actually!). Salena, my co-worker from H&M, invited me to a type of Friendsgiving. After giving it some thought, I decided to make the journey up by bus.
After a walk down the hill, I arrived at the bus stop. A few people were already gathered and we waited for our bus to arrive... for 50 minutes. I understand that they are operating on snow schedules but we were passed by at least 10 buses that were going to Seattle anyway. After arriving in down town Seattle, I walked the rest of the way as to avoid further delay if the buses were still way out of sync. Denny Hill was a sheet of ice. People slid down on their feet on top of corrugated plastic boards. I had to partake!
At Salena's I shared laughs and memories with some great company.
Thanksgiving - I just have a few words to say about what I am thankful for. I am thankful for the opportunities that I have and people that I have crossed paths with in my life. A motto of mine that I have learned from Earl Nightingale is the have a gracious attitude everyday, part of that has made me enjoy the experiences that I've shared with others around me. With that, I feel that everyone that I meet is important. Now I know many people do not share this sentiment but I love adding people that I have met just one on Facebook or connecting with them some other way. I believe that everyone we meet in some way shapes our future in one way or another. They remind us of the things that we like and even the things that we dislike. I someday would like to repay all those that I have met by helping them achieve their dreams if they already haven't
Week 9
Monday - Back to work we go!
The lack of work in the past week crept up on me! I grew tired and was a bit out of it most of the day. My muscles and joints definitely enjoyed the extended break a bit too much! The work remained our usual tasks of moving, placing, and planting the plants. This time we had 2 other crews lending a hand! The Energy Corp crew was with us again along with the Rainier Spike crew that generally does trail work on Mt. Rainier.
| Super full Snowflake! |
The Army Corp of Engineers held an emergency response and sand bag demo at Flaming Geyser Park. The Corp described how the WCC would be utilized in an emergency situation. We operated in 3-4 man teams filling sand bags. I learned about how to reduce fatigue and utilization of proper lifting techniques! Next up we learned about general pump usage and emergency situations.
We took break at Green Valley meats where everyone else went as well! The remainder of the day was spent at the site staking willows.
Wednesday - Planting, Where is my Duckie?
3 crews again this day with the usual. We missed our morning break so we added time in our afternoon for a game!
Thursday - Last day with the Port of Seattle
Ah, our last day at the Auburn mitigation site and with the Port of Seattle. It was a mixed feeling kind of good bye. I really want to finish the project and see how it all wraps up. On the other hand, it was terribly complicated! It doesn't look that different, but in a year or so after the plants have grown, it will be a whole new environment!
| Before |
| After |
New lens. Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8! It's a beast!
Finally making progress on getting the space usable. This weekend we will be completing work on a section of the flooring!
More updates coming soon.
GO HUSKIES!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment